Techniques In Animal Cell Culture & Scale-Up Strategies
- Fundamentals of cell culture, primary culture, cell transformation
- Media design, serum, serum-free media
- Laboratory safety, aseptic techniques, culturing and subculturing, cell viability, growth parameters and culture expansion for seeding reactors
- Quality control of cell culture laboratory
- Mycoplasma detection and control
- Contamination control
- Chromosome Analysis
- Growth parameters and growth curve experiments
- Hollow-fi ber bioreactor demonstrations
- Microcarrier cell culture preparations
- Microcarrier and hollow fi ber cell culture
- Stirred-tank bioreactor: design and operations
- Bench-top reactor setup and preparation for sterilization
- Media handling and asepsis, pH and DO probe preparation and calibration
- Seeding the reactors
- Cell line characterization for production of biologics
- Cell Culture – single use bioreactor systems
- Follow-up on the stirred-tank reactor experiments
- Demonstration of single-use bioreactors
Adjourn at noon
This course teaches modern techniques used with mammalian cell culture. Laboratory work includes hands-on experience in cell growth and subculturing, and extensive work with different types of bench scale and stired-tank bioreactors. Also included are microcarrier cell culture, hollow-fiber cell culture and single-use bioreactor technologies.
- Shaun Barnett, Center for Integrated BioSystems, USU
- Julia Cino, New Brunswick Scientific Co., Inc.
- Cory Card, Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc.
- Paula Decaria, Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc.
- Chris Heck, Utah Division of Wildlife Resources
- Sha Ma, Ph.D., Eppendorf Inc.
- Michael Phillips, Applikon Biotechnology, Inc.
- Kamal Rashid, Ph.D., Center for Integrated BioSystems, USU
- Tommy Smith, Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. USA